Aeon Preservation Services performed a detailed façade assessment of the historic Miami Freedom Tower. Designed by the renowned hotel architects, Schulze & Weaver of NYC in 1924, the Freedom Tower was originally constructed to serve as the headquarters of the Miami News. In the mid- Twentieth Century it was owned by the Federal Government and gained prominence serving as South Florida’s equivalent to Ellis Island for Cuban immigrants entering the US. Now owned by Miami Dade College, the building will serve a new generation as an educational building and museum.
General Contractors Kaufman Lynn of Boca Raton selected Aeon after a national search for experienced conservators who were able to work with them under an aggressive schedule to survey and document existing conditions and repair strategies for the Baroque Neoclassical concrete, cast stone and stucco façades. Aeon conservators surveyed the entire façade over a three week period accessing wall areas using fixed scaffolding, swing stage, and self-propelled high reach. Aeon also located missing original drawings located at the Wolfsonian archive providing critical supporting data.
Aeon worked closely with the Contractor, subcontractors, and owner to identify all work areas on the facades, define detailed scope for repair and restoration in compliance with historic preservation requirements, performed ongoing project management and QC, and generally supported the project objectives while meeting all cost and schedule requirements. This project has received numerous awards and Aeon received high marks from the owner, architect, and contractor for their critical role.